Tuesday, June 2, 2009

You make me soar

Happy Tuesday to everyone! I hope that Monday wasn't as rough this time around for you.

When I was a kid I used to LOVE flying kits during the summer. My brother and I had to make our own kites because we were too poor to buy "real" ones, but ours flew just fine! I don't see many kids flying kites nowadays, or maybe it's just because I live in Los Angeles.

Having said that, I wanted to share this fun kite card with you today! I haven't decided who it's going to be for yet, but probably to one of my good friends. She'll probably think, "What the heck is this?" but that funny reaction is so worth it. She's not into "cute" things and this card is meant more for a child instead of a grown adult. Anywho, I like the bright colors that are in the DCWV Butterflies and Posies stack and this is my second time using them. The first one was here with the cute elephant and his butterfly friend, although you can't really see the patterned papers. With this card, (and yes it's still a card) I made the patterned paper really stand out and give life to the kite. The kite shape was free-hand cut by me, pretty easy. Enough blabbing, here you go!

This card is for a few challenges:
  1. Caardvarks - for Shape Up! challenge
  2. Three Clovers - for Thursday Challenge #15 Ship-Shape
  3. High Hopes - for Challenge #33 No Corners
  4. Whimsy Stamps Challenge - for Challenge #4 Summer Fun - Ah, such fond summer memories of my brother and I flying kites.
  5. Creative Card Crew - for Challenge #13 Child's Play - I really should give this one to my little niece (4 years old) because she'll like it, but I feel like all she'll want to do is rip apart the pretty ribbon. Is it bad that I don't want to give away this card to my own niece?? So sad, I know.
My Card
Sorry for the dark pictures, it's cloudy here!
Card Details
Paper: DCWV Butterflies and Posies Stack
Embellishments: hemp cord, ribbon, eyelets, Prima flowers, rhinestones, Stickles
Techniques/Tools: Paper piercing, ribbon tying :)


21 comments:

Lucy, England said...

This is fabulous - I love kites, and this makes such a pretty card. Super idea.

joey said...

Hiya, this is so creative, I wouldnt want to give it away either lol. Thanks for joining us at CCC this week. Joey.x

Saskia said...

Great idea!! Lovely kite!!

Greetings,
Saskia :)

lauren said...

oh wow--this is TOTALLY fabulous, i absolutely adore your lovely kite card!!! ♥

SmilynStef said...

What a fabulous shaped card ... I love the fun ribbon tail.

Heidi Van Laar said...

I Love this! So sweet and pretty! Fabulous ribbon tail too!

Arlene said...

Really creative - love how you used the string for the cross pieces in the kite.

Beverly Gotthardt said...

Really neat, very creative! Very impressed that it fit so many challenges! You go girl!
Beverly Gotthardt

Paula said...

What a great card i love the kite shape. Thanks for taking part in the Creative Card Crew Challenge.
Paula xxxx

Lisa F said...

Beautiful kite! Thanks for joining in on the Whimsy challenge blog!

Nicola said...

Wowza this is an awesome card and I too would want to keep it for myself, it is so beautiful inside too and the tail is delish with those beautiful ribbons.
Thank you for playing along with my theme at the Creative Card Crew this week.
Hugs,
Nicola -x-

jem said...

lovely, so orginal. janex

jem said...

lovely, so orginal. janex

Joshua Jiraffe Designs said...

Such a fun and creative card...and I think your friend will like it, even if she's not into "cute" 'cause it really is a lovely card. The colors and that tail are great!

Sue from Oregon said...

What a fun card indeed! Love how you even added the tied tail to your kite! Very inventive! Thanks for joining us this week at 3CTC!

Kerry D-C said...

This is SO DANG CUTE!!! You did a fabulous job on this challenge! Thanks for participating!

LINANNA DESIGNS said...

Wow what a great card thank you for joining in with our ccc challenge this week, Linda x

mueppi said...

What a fun and creative card!
It`s a great idea!
Hugs Gisela

~Denise Lynn~ said...

Wow, what a cute idea for a card! LOVE it! Thanks for joining in our Whimsy challenge. :)

Cheri Howard said...

What a great idea! I love your colors, but the form your card took is fantastic!

Tasha said...

This is sensational and such a creative idea - fab design
thank you for joining in the Creative Card Crew challenge
love tasha xx