Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Card Patterns Sketch #14 challenge card

I'm on a roll! Today I made a card for Card Patterns Sketch #14. It took a VERY long time to make and I think that I could have made it differently and easier, but I didn't plan ahead and decided to wing it. Right when I saw this sketch, I knew that I wanted to do a window that opened up. I've been wanting to do this type of card for a while now, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. I liked how it turned out and the colors are very happy and appropriate for spring.

Here is the sketch

Here is my card

I used a lot of different techniques, but of course, since I love embossing so much, I incorporated that into this card. I heat embossed the women's clothes and dry embossed the planter on the front. I made the card outline and windows with SCAL and cut it with Cricut (I might post up the SCUT file that I used for this). I used vellum as the window "glass" and sandwiched it between two indentical pieces of the card outline and windows. I used a flower eyelet to put the ribbon through; the ribbon is used to tie the windows together because it doesn't stay put. I used Prima flowers, stickles, corner punches, and rhinestones. I used foam to create some dimension. Stamp is from My Favorite Things - Meet Me At The Cafe.

How did I emboss the women's clothes, you might ask? I'm not sure if anyone else does this, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but what I did was take a paint brush, dabbed it into embossing ink, painted the women's clothes with this clear ink, and heat embossed like I normally would! It's great, but a little frustrating when you want the stamp lines to show up clearly.

Close up of one of the women.
Embossed dress using silver powder.
Hope you enjoyed my card, it was fun making it. Let me know if you have any more questions about "paint embossing"...that's what I'm choosing to call what I do :)


3 comments:

Michelle Bertuzzi said...

Wow, all that hard work! Thanks for playing along with us. Absolutely adore this card!

whoistracy said...

What an adorable card! I love the window idea. This is so cute!

So glad you could play along with us this week!

scrapnnMO said...

WOW what an amazing looking card! Love the windows and the way it opens is so cute! Great job! :)
♥Dawn♥